ResearchBackground & historical research
sci-fi and literary inspirations
contemporary forestry and logging practices
- indigenous history in northern california
- reached out to Nisenan tribe spokeswoman - was enthusiastic about the project but it’s still early for collaboration
- ecology of Sierra Nevada & the foothills
social simulation games
walking sims and character action games that foreground the player/character’s relationship to nature
Alenda Y. Chang Playing Nature: Ecology in Video Games
- Collecting references for electric vehicles and green tech - art direction etc
- vehicle design in general
Spent a lot of time iterating on the look of the characters - wanted at first to continue photogrammetry for everything but this project has really different demands than Fire Underground.
Spent a lot of time iterating on trees and plants - learning how to set up trees and plants so that leaves appear properly lit and they are semi-efficient at scale.
I have been doing a series of prototypes to work out core game features.
- NPC coworkers who help you with tasks
- planning and executing work projects like building trails, clearing brush, limbing trees
system for queueing up and negating actions
traversal of the landscape with the player character
game of life type systems for plant growth